Medi-Test is an occupational health clinic which specializes in work loss prevention programs, striving to decrease the prevalence of drugs in the workplace, through Drug Free Workplace programs and DOT mandated testing, including our Mobile Audiometric Testing Services.
70% OF DRUG USERS ARE EMPLOYED
An estimated bottom line analysys to determine the costs associated with substance abuse in the workplace.
This equation is based upon national statistics and a study done by the National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA) and the Arizona State University. Your company's situation may vary, but this guide will help you estimate the cost of substance abuse to your company.
The estimate is only the minimum and does not take into account the theft of company property to pay for drug habits or the costs relating to damage of company property due to the carelessness of impaired employees. It does not consider loss of customer good will or the lowered employee morale that can occur because of substance abuse in the workplace.
1. Number of full-time employee _____________________
2. Total annual wages and benefit costs _____________________
3. Average wage and benefit cost per employee (#2 divided by #1) _____________________
4. Number of employees impaired by substance abuse (10% of #1) _____________________
5. At best, an employee operates at only 75% of the expected norm; calculate the lost productivity (#4 x #3 x 25%) _____________________
6. In addition, 20% of health insurance benefits are paid to cover substance abuse related claims, so calculate the cost of increased health insurance (20% of total annual claims) _____________________
7. With a drug free workplace program your company can obtain a 5% premium discount on workers' compensation (calculate 5% of your premium) _____________________
By not adopting a drug free workplace program, it can cost your company an annual minimum of (#5 + #6 + #7) _____________________
Can your company afford this waste or loss to the bottom line?
Don't become the employer of last resort for the substance abuser!
Implement a loss control program to create and maintain drug free workplace.
“Because of drugs, workers are losing their jobs and self-respect, and America’s productivity is suffering. By ridding the workplace of drugs, we can restore our pride and health, individually and nationally.” - U.S. Department of Labor
“The human cost to society and the social, economic and legal costs to business have created a new awareness of the multifaceted problems resulting from drug and alcohol abuse, and there is consensus among government and business, that action must be taken to lessen these costs.” - U.S. Department of Health and Human Services